User Interface Design
User interface design is an area of computing expertise that involves creating user controls required for application processing and combining these with a visual design. The main objective of graphical user interface design is to provide computer users an effective tool to direct computers to perform certain tasks. The UI design allows users to see and understand the options in an easy format so that they can achieve their computing goals. Web user interface design follows certain fundamentals.
CREATIVE USER INTERFACE DESIGN
- The most important factor in interface design is to test and keep testing. This involves:
- Looking at various websites
- Coming up with a set of tasks particular to those web sites
- Finding someone who has never used these websites
- Recording how they use the interface.
The designer should observe how the interface helps or confuses the user. Next, the designer should design his/her own site on paper. Perform usability tests on the prototypes until you are sure users can complete tasks as easily as possible.
An interface design expert must keep in mind that a user interface should anticipate user’s needs. One of the best ways of doing this is not expecting users to play around and experiment in order to figure out how to use the interface. The interface should make user functions as easy and obvious as possible.
BETTER USER EXPERIENCE
THIS INVOLVES VARIOUS FACTORS:
- The productivity of a computer application is measured by its usefulness to the user and not on how the application utilizes computer resources.
- For instance, if a user can take 15 minutes to do a task using a specific application, but takes 20 minutes to complete the same task in another design of the same application, then the application that takes 15 minutes to complete a task is better than the one that takes 20 minutes.
- A design that offers better user experience has a consistent look, feel and behavior.